Saturday, January 9, 2010

Future Tense: "be going to"

2 meanings
1. plan
2. expect


PLAN examples
-------------
I'm going to watch TV tonite.
I'm going to study.
I'm going to study Japanese.
I'm going to exercise.


EXPECT examples
---------------
Fred drank a lot last night. He's going to have a hangover.
Anna is on vacation. Her house is going to be empty.
I didn't do my homework. I'm going to be in trouble.
My teacher gave us a lot of topics to review. We're going to study them.
I gained a lot of weight. I'm going to have to diet.

The people in the car are going to get hurt. They're not going to be "safe and sound". (expression)
Lyla's mom is going to scold her.
The children are going to be very tired.
The lady is going to be hit by the ball. She is not going to play with the ball. (with)
Gary is going to be caught by the police for speeding. (not overspeeding)
John is taking a nap because he's tired. He's going to be tired.
Andrew is going to be very late.
Chris day-dreams a lot. He's going to sleep in.



YouTube videos for American English slang